A Slice Of Pizza, and A Grilled Cheese Sammich




Just spent this past Sunday with two of my heroes, my mighty Moms, & my brother, Kyle. Since her birthday (May 31st) falls on a Thursday, I figured I'd surprise her on Sunday, since I was unable to get that day off. I quietly stepped into her shared room, laid out her birthday card, and arranged her roses (I never come without the longstems, family). While I was doing so, she stirred, opened her eyes, smiled & said, "Hey, Big Boy!". Her smile brightened up, what was a dreary, overcast day. We chatted for a moment, before she got drowsy. I told her to go on back to sleep, & I'll just entertain myself with some "Law & Order". She chuckled, smiled, then drifted off to sleep.
   She was on oxygen, as she has some congestion in her lungs. Her breathing seemed smooth & consistent as II'd peek over at her. She's very small right now. Tiny, is more like it. She eats, but if it doesn't look appetizing, she won't.  Opting instead, for some snacks. I often remind her that she's not eating for pleasure, she's eating for sustenance, & survival. I break it down scientifically,  espousing the benefits, and merits of her eating the nutritionally- balanced meals that they bring her,  & you wanna know what her response is? "Whateva. It looks nasty.  I want some pizza. Next time you come up, bring me a slice, & a grilled cheese sammich.". All I can do is chuckle & shake my head. I chuckle because I know she's dead-ass serious. I ain't bringing her no damned pizza, or grilled cheese sammich. She'll eat what she's supposed to. See? I can be just as stubborn as she is!
   I cannot fathom what she's going through. Her body has betrayed her, despite her trying to do the right thing. She survived 2 heart attacks around '97, with the doctor giving her 2 options; stop smoking, or die. She went straight-up cold turkey without a moment's hesitation. The ripple effect was, the medication that she took for her heart, destroyed her kidneys. The meds for her kidneys, thinned out what used to be a magnificent mane of brown hair. She's endured heart attacks, gastric bypass surgery, open heart surgery, loss of the strength in her body, phlebitis, diabetes, diabetic neuropathy,  & she's still here. No complaining (other than the food), no excuses, and a legendary stubbornness,  that keeps that fire in her eyes lit. Brightly.

  You know what, family? Let me stop being an asshole...After all she's endured, & sacrificed for me, she deserves a break. MORE than deserves a break. My next trip to visit her, along with the longstems, I'll bring her that slice, & a grilled cheese sammich. We'll probably share that, some laughs, & watch some "Law & Order". Time well spent, family. Time well spent.

Put aside all differences, and embrace your family, beloveds. Tomorrow is promising, not promised.

Comments

  1. Indeed tomorrow is, not promised live, love and appreciate as much as you can for as long as you can. God is ever merciful and though we know not God always knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One smile, one word of encouragement can change a lifetime of pain or a moments uncomfortability. How fortunate we are to share time and space with our elders and embrace the aura of their experience, wisdom, and love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are truly on point! Those moments we spend on trivialities, come back to haunt us when a loved on has transitioned. We have to treat each moment, each meet, every second with our loved ones, as suddenly, that person may be called upon to provide service to the Lord. Each second is precious!

      Delete
    2. You are truly on point! Those moments we spend on trivialities, come back to haunt us when a loved on has transitioned. We have to treat each moment, each meet, every second with our loved ones, as suddenly, that person may be called upon to provide service to the Lord. Each second is precious!

      Delete

Post a Comment