Grief...

     What's good, family?
   
   It's been a few weeks...almost a month, since the biggest devastation of my life occurred. It's not easy dealing with the loss of a loved one. Particularly one with which you've had a strong bonding. One who was integral, and instrumental in you being the person that you are. October 30th will always resonate with me. Always. 
   I've heard some heads say that "life goes on", and that "she's in a better place". Selfishly, I feel that the better place is here, and now, where I can reach out and touch her, or reach out, and pick up a phone, and call her. We may not have even had anything earth-shattering to discuss, but sometimes, just the sound of one's voice was just enough. The cherry on the sundae, so to speak. I no longer have that, and yes...it hurts. There have been times since her Homegoing ceremony where, reflexively, a humorous thought, or something of interest comes across my mind, and I get ready to pick up the phone, and call her...and then it hits me. Can't do that anymore, bruh...she's not there.
   I try not to think of her in terms of sadness, because I KNOW that she's with Yah, serving faithfully, as she always had, spreading love more generously than she had before. But, I can't help thinking about the last time I touched her hand, the last time I kissed her on the forehead, the last time I made her smile, and chuckle with my comedy. Suddenly, all types of questions I would've asked her, are popping up in my head, and I know that I can't ask them. "How'd you make your seafood salad?", or "What's the secret to your world-famous lemonade?". Hell, she wouldn't've told me, even if she WERE around! Even simple stuff like, "How are you feeling today?", or "Have you eaten?". Stuff that we should be asking our loved ones on a daily basis. I miss those things. Although, I no longer have to worry about her, I miss that, too. I didn't mind coming to see her in the hospital, rehabilitation center, and nursing homes. She would've done the same for me. I know this. What I DON'T miss, is her being in those places, and me having to leave her there. Those trips back to Delaware were agonizing. Especially the last one. THAT one was the worst, because I knew that there would never be another one of our "Law & Order" Sundays. There would no longer be our annual movie dates. There would no longer be her marvelous Thanksgiving soirees, where you could smell the cooking, and hear her laughter, all the way to the elevator. No more Christmases, where she loved to have a tree up, right after Thanksgiving, and always busted her tail to make sure that she got her cards sent out, and presents wrapped meticulously. No more 11:59:59 New Year's Eve calls. No more birthday calls, and cards. No more hugs, and "Heyyyyy, Big Boy, what's up?" Simple things.
Simple things that mean so much more, when they're no longer available.
   I think about her every day. And I talk to her, and yes, I can hear her voice clearer now, than before, and she's constantly telling me, "I'm alright, baby...I'm okay! I want you to stop worrying, and keep on doing the things that you need to be doing...I'm much better, now." I believe that. But I'm still having a hard time fathoming the loss. THAT'S gonna take some time...if ever.
   Quite a few of you friends, and family have reached out, and have warmly extended their thoughts, and prayers, and I humbly HUMBLY appreciate it, and am overwhelmed by the outpouring of love, care, and concern. I tend to go off into my "moments", where grief has to rear it's head, and honestly, I don't want to be around anyone when I go through it. I don't wanna be that "Sad Sack" cat that people wind up avoiding, because that mug's always sad. Not saying that that's where I am, currently, mind you! I'm just working on processing this season, day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute, because it's still fresh. The wound is still raw. The pain is still there, and it's real. I'll not let grief consume me, though. It's a tough, bitter pill to swallow, but eventually, with some honey, it'll go down. Eventually.
   MAJOR thanks, and kudos to all, whom I consider family, for taking time out to check up on a brutha. I'll be back to my positive, and positively comedic ways, in no time. But please forgive, and understand if I don't promptly return a call, or answer a phone, or return a text/e-mail. My world's been turned upside down, and I'm just starting to rearrange the furniture. Feel me?

I love you, Ma...missing you dearly, and daily.

Love to you ALL, family...❤❤❤

Comments

  1. Beautifully written. Its never easy losing a loved one and although time may heal some things the void remains. With time comes more revelation and understanding, but be gentle with you and give yourself time. Take whatever time you need to process proper my and sufficiently. Life is a process and we are all going through it absolutely and inevitably. The one thing I know is that time brings wisdom and resolve, but it doesn't remove memories. Your space and time away is what you give to yourself, and there are no explanations needed for that. I am positive that grieving isn't negative grieving is necessary. Kirk your positivity shines through in the midst of it all, even in this very beautifully and eloquently written memoir so to speak. Amazing is never forgotten, amazing is never replaced we can celebrate the life but the sting is always there. My prayer to you is that God continue to bring. You comfort and peace in the spaces where there is no understanding or resolve. Grief changes us. How it changes us depends on us. And my prayer to God is that you end the in the most amazing way as she would want you to. Much love to you Kirk always, you know that. Keep up the great and amazing work we are listening.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I appreciate that, Jeneisis... There are times where I question myself, and wonder if there was anything that I could've done, or if there was something that I had neglected to do. Did I come up short somehow? It's folly to think that way, I know, but the thought is still there.
    I'll just have to put it in Yah's capable hands, and continue to pray-up, and honor her memory with positive endeavours.
    This is my first birthday/Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's without her, all in the space of 2 months, so it'll be bodyblow on top of bodyblow, on top of bodyblow. It's going to be tough, but she wouldn't want me mourning, for such was not her way. Time will eventually soothe the pain, but the memories are tattooed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give yourself time. I think all to often we get so caught up in human-ing that we forget that we are soul a first. And while it might seem logical that a calendarvdare be the mark of when we "should" be over a thing the soul,grief, and growth know no time. It happens as it happens. The bonus is that you have memories and that even in the midst of the pain growth is silently taking place. It will be one of the hardest times but nothing that God won't guide and heal you through. You honor her well. All that she needed you to do you did and more. She knew she was loved by you. Bargaining meaning go and back and forth with ourselves is the the penultimate stage in the grief process. So just keep pressing through and honoring and allowing your soul to be fulfilled and warmed with the fullness of who she will always be. You are loved Kirk we love you and we have your back. Keep up the exquisite work we are listening.

      Delete

Post a Comment